Crime Education National

Kabale School Fire Leaves Pupil Dead

By APN Reporter

Kabale

One person has been killed in a fire that gutted a dormitory at Kabale Universal primary school.
The fire reportedly started as a result of a short circuit in the power supply system.

The deceased has been identified as Adrine Arinda, a primary seven pupil .

The school in question is located in in Kekubo, Nyabikoni ward Central Division, Kabale Municipality.

Arinda reportedly died from injuries sustained from the fire as she arrived at Kabale regional referral hospital.

The fire which broke out at around 07:30PM on Monday evening affected
the girls’ dormitory and the administration block.

The Fire also destroyed furniture, pupils’ beddings, clothes, office documents and computers.

Two teachers who were on a night duty told our reporter on condition
of anonymity fire was caused by short circuit. They say that he first
saw fire sparks coming from wires in the corner of the dormitory
before spreading to the pupils’ beddings.
They also say that most of the pupils who were preparing to go for
night preps run way unhurt. They add that Arinda who was seriously
burnt by fire failed to run out of the burning dormitory as she was
sick.

Police fire brigade intervened in time to put off the fire. However in
the course of containing fire from spreading to other structures of
the school, police run out of water.

The police fire truck driver had to rush to National water to fetch more water.

Elly Maate, the police spokesperson for Kigezi Region has confirmed
the death of a pupil. Maate says that the pupil died on arrival at
Kabale regional referral hospital.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *