By Our reporter
Authorities in Kabale Municipality have closed down temporarily Kabale Universal Nursery and Primary school following a Monday fire outbreak that claimed a life of a pupil.
The deceased is Adrine Arinda, an 11 year old primary seven pupil.
According to the Kigezi regional Police Spokesperson, Elly Maate, the fire which broke out at around 7:30pm on Monday evening burnt the girls’ dormitory and an administration block, destroying school and learners’ property including furniture, pupils’ beddings, clothes, office documents and computers.
Two teachers who were on night duty, told our reporter that the fire was most likely started by electricity.
“We first saw sparks coming from wires in the corner of the dormitory before the fire caught the pupils’ beddings,” one of the teachers told us anonymously.
At the time, the teacher says, the pupils who were preparing to go for night preps studies escaped unhurt, apart from Arinda who was seriously burnt and failed to make it out of the burning dormitory by herself.
Maate said Arinda died on arrival at Kabale regional referral hospital. He says police is investigating the fire. The deceased hails from Kiruhura district.
Police fire brigade arrived and fought to prevent the fire from spreading further, only to run out of water.
After a closed door crisis meeting between the school administration and education stakeholders in the municipality, the school was ordered to close down temporarily to pave way for better changes in handling eventualities of the same nature.
Announcing the resolutions at the school premises in Kekubo, Kabale municipality, Ssentaro Byamugisha, the Kabale municipality mayor said that that the school needs to sort out a few issues before it is allowed to re-open.
“ We have discovered that the school was too congested and learners were sleeping on triple decker beds, there were no fire fighting equipment, it did not have ample space to allow police rescue teams in case of a similar accident among others,” said Byamugisha.
He further revealed that the resolution was reached to enable pupils overcome the shocking experience they underwent during and after the fire attack.
“These pupils need to be comforted by their parents because they experienced serious trauma they experienced,” said Byamugisha.
Drake Kisheija The school director said that he will respect the resolutions of the meeting and must work harder to ensure that the school gets the required standards.
By press time some parents had stormed the school to pick their pupils.