FUFA suspends Kigezi Home Boyz, Kitara FC Uganda Cup game indefinitely

Federation of Uganda Football Association (FUFA) has postponed the game between Kigezi Home Boyz Football Club and Kitara Football Club in the ongoing Stanbic Bank Uganda cup until further notice.

According to Uganda Cup fixtures, the game had been scheduled to be played on Tuesday (yesterday) at exactly 04:00 PM at Kavumba Recreation Grounds in Kampala. The two clubs were slated to face off in the first leg of their round of 32 ties. They were also slated to meet again in the second leg at Kabale Municipal Ground on Saturday afternoon.

Kitara Football Club has opted to host their home games at Kavumba Recreation Grounds after FUFA declined to approve Masindi Municipal Stadium to accommodate Stanbic bank Uganda cup due to its sorry state and lack of enough required facilities.

However, however Kigezi Home Boyz club arrived at the venue few minutes to the start of the game but were instead chased by police officers deployed at the main entrance. On inquiring, players were told that Kitara Football Club players are ready for the game at Masindi Municipal Stadium in Masindi district.

Kigezi home boyz players remained stuck after they were unable to travel to Masindi.  Kigezi Home Boyz players later learnt that FUFA this week approved Masindi Municipal Stadium after Kitara Football club provided all the requirements.

This left Kigezi home boyz players and fans in Kigezi unhappy and questioning how referees and other sports officials got the communication concerning the abrupt changes and none of Kigezi home Boyz the official was informed.

On Wednesday FUFA held a meeting in Kampala to discuss the matter. In the evening, hajjat Aisha Nalule, the FUFA Competitions Director issued a statement indicating that the game between the two clubs has been suspended until further notice.  Nalule asked both teams to cooperate and abide by FUFA’s resolution.  The statement did not elaborate more about who could be wrong between the two clubs and FUFA.

Timothy Tumuheirwe, the Kigezi Home Boyz Communications Officer confirmed to our reporter that the club has received an official statement from FUFA suspending the game until further notice.  Tumuheirwe says that as a club they are not happy with FUFA because it did not consider hardships the club management go through while spending money to transport, feed and accommodate players.

According to Tumuheirwe, the club has lost shillings eight million to cater for players for the two days they camped in Kampala preparing for the game that has been suspended. Tumuheirwe says that FUFA should always release notification immediately as a way of helping clubs to avoid such losses and inconveniences.