By Libino Byamukama.
The Chairperson of the Inter-religious Council for the Kigezi sub-region, Rev. Fr. Gaetano Batanyenda, has called for President Museveni’s action on government officials who allegedly misappropriated government funds meant for the Karamoja sub-region.
The former Kitanga parish priest in the Kabale Diocese, Rev. Fr. Gaetano Batanyenda, revealed this yesterday, February 20, 2023, while addressing the journalists in Kabale town at the Miami Hotel.
He questioned whether the government officials who picked up the iron sheets from the office of the prime minister were sent to deliver them, or if the prime minister, Robina Nabbanja, sent the vice president to deliver them.
“If they were messengers, why didn’t the prime minister send President Museveni, who knows more people than his vice?”Why am I not a messenger? Yet they are! “And why did the Prime Minister send herself?” Gaetano questioned
He called upon President Museveni to chase, arrest, and make the government officials refund the iron sheets if he is to save Karamoja sub-region.
He did, however, say that the public is fed up with the government failing to take action against people misappropriating government funds and that now is the time to put President Museveni to the test.
He further said that it’s so unfortunate that government ministers are the ones misappropriating government iron sheets meant for Karamoja, a region that has the most vulnerable people in the whole country.
He added that Karamoja has been experiencing a prolonged drought from January to December, which should attract the government’s attention.
“See, the region recently was attacked by desert locusts that destroyed everything on the ground,” he added.
Last week, Maria Goretti Kitutu, the minister for Karamoja affairs, was accused of mismanaging relief items allotted to her, with iron sheets allegedly discovered at her relatives’ homes in Namisindwa, where she is a district woman member of parliament.
It’s now established that a secret crack intelligence team ordered by the president has commenced investigations to ascertain the degree of misallocation of government funds.
Sources have it that the G-28 and pre-painted iron sheets were doled out last year and this year to the vice president, speaker, and several ministers to enhance their political mobilization.
They were meant for vulnerable households, interest groups, and institutions (churches, health centers, schools, and mosques) in the Karamoja region.
This is how misappropriation was done.
- 1. According to a list seen by our reporter, Prime Minister Robinah Nabbanja received 2,000 pieces of iron sheets meant for vulnerable families in Kakumiro and neighboring districts.
- 2. The state minister for Karamoja, Agnes Nandutu, who doubles as the Bududa woman MP, received 2000 pieces of iron sheets.
- 3. The state minister of ethics and integrity, Rose Lilly Akelo, who doubles as the Karenga district woman MP, took 800 pieces of iron sheets.
- 4. Speaker of Parliament Anita Annet received 500 sheets of iron. As a female MP, I represent the Bukedia district.
- 5. Vice President Maj. (Rtd) Jessica Alupo received 500 pieces of iron sheeting. She is also the Katakwi district woman (Mp).
- 6. Minister of state for finance, planning, and economic development Amosi Lugolobi received 300 pieces of iron sheeting. He is also the Ntenjeru North MP (Kayunga district).
- 7. Seiko David Serumbungo, the priest at St. Peter’s C.O.U. Kungu in Wakiso District, received 150 pieces of iron sheeting.
- 8. CAO Nakapiripirit District received 3880 pieces of iron sheets meant for valuable households.
- 9. Finance Minister Matia Kasaija picked up 600 pieces of iron sheeting. He represents Buyanja county and Kibaale district.
- 10. Maria Goretti Kitutu, the Minister for Karamoja Affairs, received 1500 sheets of iron on January 1, 2022, and another 1500 on June 17, 2022.
- 11. Government chief whip Denis Hamson Obua picked 300 pieces of iron sheeting. He represents Ajuri County (Alebtong district).
- 12. Minister of State for Agriculture Bwino Fred Kyakulaga received 300 pieces of iron sheets. He represents Kigulu county and North Iganga district.
- 13) The minister of state for relief, disaster preparedness, and refugees, Davinia Esther Anyakun, got 300 pieces of iron sheets. She is the MP for Nakapiripirit District Woman.
- 14. Minister of State for Bunyoro Affairs Jennifer Namuyangu got 300 pieces of iron sheeting. She represents the women of the Kibuku district.MP
- 15. Central youth MP Agnes Kirabo took 200 pieces of iron sheeting.
- 16. The CAO Mororo district chose 1,000 iron sheets.
- 17. CAO Nakaseke District/Kinoni COU These received 200 pieces of iron sheeting.
- 18. State Minister for Finance (General Duties) Henry Ariganyira Musasizi took 200 pieces of iron sheets.